Many couples do not want the ordinary rules in the Property (Relationships) Act 1976 to apply to them if they separate.

There are many reasons for this. For example, often one party will have purchased a property before the relationship. If this property is to be the family home, the law says upon separation the home is to be shared equally regardless of when it was acquired. To avoid this a couple can enter an agreement saying how all property will be divided if they separate.

I can prepare a Contracting Out Agreement (sometimes called a Pre-Nuptial) to ensure your partner does not become entitled to a share of your property.

The law requires that both parties to a Contracting Out Agreement have independent legal advice before signing it. This means both you and your partner will have to see a lawyer.